18 January 2008

Anti-Social

I used to love having people around me all the time. Be it friends, family or just strangers, it didn't matter as long as there was someone around me. The noise, activity, conversations etc. kind of gave me a sense of belonging that despite me knowing someone or not, I was still somebody in the presence of somebody else. All that has changed so much in the last few years. Ever since I moved to NJ, over time I have become socially reclusive and now, the lonelier I am, the more at peace I am.

Thinking about what may have brought about that change, I realized that a lot had to do with just adjusting over here. When I joined college over here, it was a culture shock to me. I was not aware or familiar with the concept of having different classes at different times, in different buildings with different people. Trying to mingle with crowd was difficult because I had nothing in common as such and everything seemed so alien to me. I did not have much to say as such in any conversation because most of the time the conversations were only related to bf’s/gf’s/clubbing especially with the ABCD crowd. Secondly, one thing I noticed in an ABCD crowd is that there were almost never any FOB’s in it. FOB’s were always viewed differently and hence the FOB’s usually isolated themselves from the ABCD’s. The movie ‘Where’s the party yaar’ is exactly what I saw and went through in college. Of course this doesn’t happen all the time but this was what I noticed when I was in college.

I related a lot with the few FOB’s that existed in the college that I went to. Usually people from India come here to do their masters and hence most of the time, most of the people in the program are FOB’s and hence making friends again is not that difficult. Then you have roommates etc. I joined the university in a Bachelor’s program and I used to live 10 minutes away from college. There was no reason to dorm or anything as such and hence the roommate experience was also absent. Slowly over time, I just got used to the fact that maybe over here there might not arise an occasion where I could once again belong to a circle of friends. I made a lot of acquaintances along the way but was never able to make any good friends as such.

Another drawback that has resulted because of this is that now, whenever I go back home and we friends do hang out, I feel like a stranger among them too. I can’t relate to most of the conversations because it most of the time involves something that I am so not familiar with. I guess I have just grown apart from them because all of them remained back home and are living lives that are intertwined in some way or the other whereas I just come and go. There is nothing common between them and me anymore and I wonder whether in the end, all of this is really worth it. I came here, got a great education, have a good home (with parents of course), got a decent job…but at the expense of what?

A cousin of mine just moved here too. He is still in high school though. However, I do see some of the things; I went through, happening with him. He feels like an outcast here and is slowly growing apart from his friends back home. He is still in high school though, which might give him an advantage in terms of having the possibility of eventually making a decent friends circle before he hits college. Else, he is eventually going to just become just another me. Lonely and socially reclusive and when there are opportunities to make friends, you just don’t know what to do or say after a certain point…

All this is just some of the losses on a social side…The losses on the family front is a totally different chapter altogether…All in all I wonder that if I had come here to do my masters and was living away from my parents then would my situation have been different (just in USA that is). Would I have been able to make more friends since I might have been living with a few and hence we might have become a good bunch of friends? Should I have completed my education from India applied for an h-1 from India and then come here, like most of my friends? Maybe I would’ve met a few h-1 people and we would’ve shared something and eventually became good friends…Maybe….just maybe, I would’ve regained my sense of belonging.

P.S.: Sorry for the classifications of ABCD's and FOB's. I wasnt sure of how else to distinguish the two.

8 comments:

Munmun said...

I know exactly what you mean. I came here for grad studies (unlike you), but ironically enough, I am also unable to connect with the crowd here; just so much as I can't do the same with friends back in India. Despite having room-mates and other fellow MS / PhD students, I have not built up a large group. And this is not just true for me, I have seen the same for some of my other friends.
Sometimes I thought it is just me: my line of thought is just too different now to interact normally with others. To me hanging around is no more partying / discussing bf, gfs / bitching about other people / complaining about work / studies. I often look for sometime more creative: like going hiking somewhere, doing photography, discussing philosophy, appreciating Art etc. But unfortunately I find very few people with whom I can do these things. Neither can I run after getting jobs (as most MS students do) or start my drive to find a handsome guy to date (most ABCDs do). May be I am the odd one :)

Aparna Ganguly said...

Honestly, I didn't come across the term 'FOB' before I read your post. Thanks for that. Strange, how we never make a point to know what others call us. The urban dictionary has an interesting take:
"Fob (Fresh Off tha Boat)
- You were not born in America
- You know who Leon, Aaron, Sammi, Hikki, and Kangta are. In fact, you have seen them at Atlantic City or Las Vegas recently
- You speak your native language fluently and so do all your friends
- You do not have any non-Asian friends
- Your parents do not speak any English
- When you speak English, you like to make everything plural
- You get extremely good grades in school
- You cannot dance
- Your fashion sense comes from whatever country you're from and you incorporate nothing from American fashion into your wardrobe"

:D

sodamncool said...

lol @ Your fashion sense comes from whatever country you're from and you incorporate nothing from American fashion into your wardrobe

i remember my tight jeans and tucked in t-shirts...and I thought i was the dude...hehe

from what I learnt when I was in college is that for the first 2 years you are an FOB after that you graduate to an SOB (stale off the boat)..i guess I've graduated to that now..kinda...

Gentle Whispers said...

I empathize. As college passes on, I too seem to be becoming more and more anti-social. I prefer burying myself in a book or surfing the internet than actually making conversations with people. Even when I meet new people, i sit in a corner and make no effort at all to talk to them. And this from someone who was called motormouth in school.

I'm making more of an effort to get out of this cause though like you said I'm at peace when I'm alone. I love making new friends and talking to people.

Beautifully written and I'm going to link you if you don't mind.

sodamncool said...

@gentle

Im glad that you are making efforts to get out of it..cos after a while, being alone ain't going to really cut it...Am glad you like what I have to say..appreciate that..I look forward to reading more from you...

Eyore said...

yea I can really relate to this topic, I was actually very social jock in H.S. I went away to Missourri Valley for college from my home in Hawaii and found the Mid-west to be a different planet. What once was a big fish in a small pond was a "uncool" seeming nobody in a big world. My reclusivness started there and followed me the following year when I returned home. I am now 25 and still have such a hard time relating to people and just feel so weird when I engage in conversations. I sometimes think it is because I care too much about wanting friends and feel the need to belong that it messes me up to the point where having said friends and social interactions is immpossible. I am hoping one day that I get over this, I really miss having friends and feeling "so cool" as i used to. lol.

Jessica Erin said...

): i'm sorry...

i'm a gori, so i don't know 100% how you feel but i have some antisocial feelings too. i'd much prefer to spend my time with a book or doing work or chilling with my laptop in a local café than going to parties or being in large groups. i used to love being in the middle of craziness and chaos, but now i just feel so uncomfortable. you're not the only one! look around you--there are tons of others with the same preferences. sometimes i feel bummed on friday nights because i see so many people heading out to parties, but then if you look at dorm rooms as you pass by you'll see that 70% or more are occupied. i think a part of maturing is letting go of the need for constant life and insanity...

Anonymous said...

Actually I'm not an FOB but I feel like one. I've grown up in Seattle, WA, gone to public school here and am now going to the University of Washington.

Do you know how I found your blog? I typed in college and antisocial. I wouldn't necessarily label myself as antisocial but I don't connect with many people at all. I already feel like too much focus is put on the social aspects of college and that's not why I'm excited about going. For goodness sake... I'm going to expand my horizons. I see UW as a gateway.

Actually the ironic thing is that I've developed a huge interest in Indian culture... Bollywood of course is not a great representation... but I like Hindi as language too. Now of course I'll never escape this social problem anywhere in the world but traveling makes me at least feel like I have something greater to strive towards, so does learning another language.

Anyways I guess its nice to know I'm not the only one. I feel okay about myself when I'm alone, or only with a very good friend... but I feel like I need others approval when I'm in a social environment. I don't receive it, and I start feeling down... but I shouldn't need it.

Partying shouldn't be the only connection between people. I'm totally at a loss for why that is such a dominant activity that people want to do. Going to games becomes the same sort of thing... I'd rather read a book by myself, or paint and draw, or observe nature... anything.

As long as I keep the right perspective and know that not everyone is like that then I won't feel so bad.

Shukriya for the post.